Legal Information: Louisiana

Housing Laws

View all
August 27, 2021

What proof do I need to give to my landlord to get out of my lease if I am a domestic abuse victim?

If you are a tenant who is requesting an early lease termination, you must provide “reasonable documentation” that you or your family or household member is a domestic abuse victim. This means you must provide both of the following:

  1. a written letter that says:
    1. you or your family or household member is a victim of domestic abuse;
    2. you want an early lease termination;
    3. you and your household members will not knowingly allow the abuser to enter your home again; and
    4. you will meet all of the other requirements under the lease agreement;1 and
  2. proof that the domestic abuse happened within the past 30 days in the rented home, in the form of either:
    1. a domestic abuse protective order; or
    2. a certification of domestic abuse signed by a qualified third party. 2

If requested by the landlord, you must provide the name and address of the abuser as well.3

1 La. Rev. Stat. § 9:3261.1(E)
2 La. Rev. Stat. § 9:3261.1(B)(7), (E)(2)
3 La. Rev. Stat. § 9:3261.1(E)(5)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.