Legal Information: Kansas

Restraining Orders

View all
September 22, 2017

Step 1: Get the petition.

A petition for a protection from stalking or sexual assault order can be filed with any district judge or clerk of the court unless the petition is being filed by an adult on behalf of the minor -- in that case, it has to be filed in the county where the stalking or sexual assault occurred.1  To find a list of courthouses in Kansas, see our KS Courthouse Locations page.  At the courthouse, the clerk of the court will be able to give you the forms you need to file for a PFS order.2  You can also find the forms online at the Kansas courts website.  Go to our KS Download Court Forms page for the link.

Remember to bring some form of identification (a driver's license or picture I.D.) with you to the courthouse.  You may also want to call the courthouse in advance (if you can) to see if there are certain times that petitions are presented to the judge.

1 Kan. Stat. § 60-31a04(a),(b)
2 Kan. Stat. § 60-31a04(c)