Legal Information: Kansas

Restraining Orders

View all
June 21, 2021

Step 4: The protection from abuse order hearing

On the day of the hearing, you must go to the hearing to ask to have your temporary order (usually good for up to 21 days) turned into a final PFA order, which can last for up to 1 year.1

If you do not go to the hearing, your temporary order will expire and you will have to start the process all over again. If you do not show up at the hearing it may be harder for you to be granted an order in the future.  

If the abuser does not show up for the hearing, the judge may enter a “default” order, granting you what you requested in your petition. The judge may also decide to postpone the date of the hearing in order to be able to hear testimony from the abuser.  If the judge postpones the hearing (a continuance), then be sure to have your temporary order extended until that time.

You may wish to hire a lawyer to help with your case, especially if the abuser has a lawyer.  If the abuser shows up with a lawyer, you can ask the judge for a “continuance” (a later court date) so that you have time to find a lawyer.  Go to KS Places that Help to find help in your area.

You can also read through the At the Hearing section for ways you can show the judge that you were abused - this may be especially helpful if you are representing yourself. You can learn more about the court system in our Preparing for Court – By Yourself section.

1 Kan. Stat. § 60-3107(e)

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.