WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Kansas


April 8, 2020

I am the child's family member. Can I get vistitation?

If you are the child’s grandparent or step-parent, you may be given visitation rights.1 

Grandparents may get reasonable visitation if the judge believes that a substantial relationship between the child and the grandparent has been established and the visitation rights would be in the child’s best interests.2   Furthermore, if one of the child’s parents die, his/her parents (the child’s grandparents) can get visitation even if the surviving parent remarries and his/her new spouse subsequently adopts the child.3

If you are a step-parent seeking visitation, you may want to ask an attorney for advice as to what factors a judge may consider.   For legal referrals, go to our KS Finding a Lawyer page.

1 K.S.A. § 23-3301(a)
2 K.S.A. § 23-3301(b)
3 K.S.A. § 23-3301(c)