WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Kansas


April 8, 2020

Can I change the state where my case is being heard?

Maybe. If you move to another state, you may be able to change the state where the custody case is being heard. Once you and your child have been living in a new state for 6 consecutive months, then the new state may be able to hear your case. If you have been in the new state for less than 6 months, then you will probably have to ask the judge that is hearing the case to change the jurisdiction of your case. This if often complicated, and as with all custody issues, we recommend that you talk to a lawyer about this.

To find legal resources in Kansas, please visit our KS Finding a Lawyer page.  To find legal resources in a state other Kansas, go to the Places that Help tab on the top of this page and choose a new state from the drop down menu on the left side of the page.