Legal Information: Idaho

Restraining Orders

View all
November 8, 2018

Step 3: Service of process

The abuser has to be served with paperwork from the court, which includes a copy of your petition, the temporary ex parte order you received (if any), and information about when the hearing for a permanent order will be. Your temporary order will not go into effect until the abuser has been served. There is no fee to have law enforcement serve the order.1 The court will send copies of the order and notice of hearing to the police or sheriff. Usually, law enforcement personnel will attempt to serve the abuser in person.2

Do not try and serve the abuser in person with the papers yourself.

1 I.C. § 39-6305
2 I.C. §§ 39-6309; 39-6310