WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: General


I think that I might meet the requirements to transfer my custody case to a new state. Where do I begin?

If you believe that your situation may come under the laws explained above, we strongly suggest talking to an attorney in the original state where the order was issued as well as in your current state for help in filing the appropriate legal papers. Go to our Finding a Lawyer page for legal referrals. You also may contact the Legal Resource Center on Violence Against Women at 1-800-556-4053 for help finding an attorney or for legal information if there has been a history of abuse and you have a custody case involving more than one state.

If you cannot find an attorney, and you would like to talk more with WomensLaw.org about your particular situation, you can email us on our Email Hotline and we can see if there is any further information we can provide.