WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Legal Information: Federal


View all
August 12, 2019

How do I apply for a T-visa?

To apply for a T-visa, the first step should be to get a lawyer, if possible, who is familiar with T-visa applications to help you. Next, you will need to get and fill out an “Application for T Nonimmigrant Status,” which is called Form I-914.

Along with the completed Form I-914, you will need to submit to USCIS:

  • a personal statement describing how you were a victim of trafficking; and
  • ​supporting evidence to show that you meet the eligibility requirements.1

To learn more about eligibility requirements, see Am I eligible for a T-visa? To learn more about what documents you can submit to prove that you meet the eligibility requirements, see What must be included in the T-visa application?

Although it is not required, you are encouraged to submit a “Declaration of Law Enforcement Officer for Victim of Trafficking in Persons,” which is Form I-914 Supplement B. This form is also known as a law enforcement agency (LEA) endorsement. A federal, state, or local law enforcement authority can fill out a Form I-914 Supplement B. A completed Form I-914 Supplement B acts as proof that you:

  • are a victim of a severe form of trafficking; and
  • have complied with reasonable requests for assistance in the investigation or prosecution.1

You can find the necessary forms including the I-914 and I-914 Supplement B at the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website.

We strongly encourage you to contact an immigration attorney to assist you in completing and submitting an application for a T-visa to the USCIS. To locate a local attorney, please visit our Finding a Lawyer page and enter your state. For national immigration organizations, go to our National Organizations - Immigration page.

1 See Instructions for Form I-914, “Application for T Nonimmigrant Status”