Legal Information: Federal

Domestic Violence in the Military

View all
June 25, 2013

Can victims in same-sex relationships receive help?

Yes.  The Family Advocacy Program's ("FAP") policy has been changed from prior years to include people in same-sex relationships.1  

Victims in same-sex relationships (and heterosexual relationships) who are civilians and not married to the active duty service members are eligible for limited services from FAP (risk and danger assessment, safety planning, etc.) but would be referred to community-based resources for ongoing services.  They are not eligible for medical services because they are not beneficiaries of the military health system.

Victims in same-sex domestic violence situations can also apply for and receive an MPO.  See our Military Protective Orders page for more information on MPOs.

1 See DoD Instruction 6400.06 (Incorporating Change 1, Septermber 20, 2011)

You can find information about LGBTQIA victims of abuse and what types of barriers they may face on our LGBTQIA Victims page.