Legal Information: District of Columbia

Restraining Orders

View all
August 31, 2015

Step 3: Decide whether or not to file for child support.

If you have children in common with the abuser, you can file for child support if the children are living with you. If you believe that filing for child support will place you in danger from the abuser, you do not have to file -- this is true even if you are on public assistance. If you fear for your safety, let the clerk at the intake center know that you do not wish to file for child support.