Legal Information: Colorado


View all
March 11, 2022

Can I change the state where the case is being heard?

If you move to another state, you may be able to change the state where the custody (PR &R) case is being heard. You may have to ask the judge that is hearing the case to change the jurisdiction of your case to the new state.

For information on trying to modify a final Colorado custody order in another state, or an out-of-state custody order in Colorado, please see our Changing a final custody order page in the general custody information section. This will tell you what factors a judge should consider when deciding whether or not to transfer your case to a new state.

The custody process is often complicated, especially when trying to figure out if you can move your case to a new state. Therefore, we recommend that you talk to a lawyer about any custody questions you have. To find legal services in Colorado, go to our CO Finding a Lawyer page. To find legal services in a state other than Colorado, select that state from the Places that Help tab on the top of this page and then click Finding a Lawyer.

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.