Legal Information: Alabama

Restraining Orders

View all
June 12, 2018

I am not eligible for a PFA order. What can I do?

If you are not eligible for a PFA order, there are still some things you can do to stay safe.  It might be a good idea to contact one of the domestic violence resource centers in your area to get help, support, and advice on how to stay safe. They can help you develop a safety plan and help connect you with the resources you need. For safety planning help, ideas, and information, go to our Safety Tips page. You will find a list of AL resources by clicking on the Places that Help tab at the top of this page.

If you are not eligible because your relationship with the abuser does not qualify as a "family or household member," you may be able to seek protection through a Temporary Restraining Order.  For more information on Temporary Restraining Orders, you can contact the Alabama Coalition Against Domestic Violence at 1-800-650-6522 or read about it on their website.

Even if you do not qualify for one of these orders, the abuser may have committed a crime against you.  For example, stalking, trespassing, harassment, assault, and communicating threats are against the law.  You have the right to report the incidents to the police.  If you are in immediate danger, you can call 911. You can read more about crimes in Alabama on our AL Crimes page.

If you are being stalked, you may want to visit the National Stalking Resource Center.