WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Some courts are hearing cases virtually due to COVID. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

Legal Information: Alabama

Restraining Orders

View all
March 9, 2021

In which county do I file the petition?

You may file a petition for an elder abuse protection order in the circuit court in any of the following places:

  • where you live or have temporarily relocated;
  • where the abuser lives; or
  • where the abuse happened.1

The clerk of courts should be able to provide the necessary forms to file the petition, for which there are no fees.2

1Ala. Code § 38-9F-4(c)
2Ala. Code §§ 38-9F-6(c), (e)