What is victim compensation?
Alaska has a Violent Crimes Compensation Board that can provide compensation (money) to the following victims:
- innocent people who are injured;
- dependents of people who are killed; and
- to certain other people who, due to their relationship to the victim of a crime, incur actual and reasonable expenses as a result of:
- certain serious crimes;
- an attempt to prevent a crime from happening; or
- an attempt to capture or an actual capture of suspected criminals.1
Please continue reading the rest of this section for more information on various eligibility requirements.
1 Alaska Statute § 18.67.010