Can I get alimony?
Alimony is financial support paid by, or to, your spouse.
If you or your spouse request alimony, the judge will consider certain factors to determine a fair alimony award. These factors include, but are not limited to the:
- length of the marriage;
- standard of living that was established during the marriage;
- age and health of you and your spouse;
- earning capacity of you and your spouse, including educational background, training, employment skills, work experiences, length of absence from the job market, and custodial responsibilities for children during the marriage;
- financial situation of you and your spouse, including the availability and the cost of health insurance;
- conduct of you and your spouse, including whether there has been unreasonable spending or destruction of marital assets;
- division of property; and
- other factors the judge decides are relevant to your case.1
1 Alaska Statute § 25.24.160(a)(2)