Legal Information: Alaska


August 9, 2023

I am the child's uncle/aunt/cousin/etc. Can I file for visitation of the child?

Although the law does not specifically mention visitation rights for aunts, uncles, cousins, etc., in a custody case, the law does permit visitation rights for a grandparent or “other person” if it is in the best interests of the child.1 If you want to know more about this, please talk to a lawyer.

1 Alaska Statute § 25.20.060

WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.