Información Legal: Minnesota

Restraining Orders

Ver Todo
25 de octubre de 2021

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Minnesota?

Generally, only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order. You cannot have this done by a court in Minnesota.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. It may be possible to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. You may not want to contact the clerk of court where you live to find out. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Minnesota, you may be able to get a new one issued in Minnesota but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Minnesota. To find out more information on how to get an order for protection in Minnesota, visit our MN Orders for Protection page.

WomensLaw sirve y apoya a todas las personas sobrevivientes sin importar su sexo o género.