WomensLaw no es solamente para mujeres. Servimos y apoyamos a todos/as los/as sobrevivientes no importa su sexo o género.

Importante: Aun si las cortes están cerradas puede haber una forma para pedir una orden de protección y recursos de emergencia. Vea las Cortes y el COVID-19.

Información Legal: Indiana

Restraining Orders

Ver Todo
8 de octubre de 2019

Can I have my out-of-state protection order changed, extended, or canceled in Indiana?

Only the state that issued your protection order can change, extend, or cancel the order. You cannot have this done by a court in Indiana.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued. You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living. To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, go to the Restraining Orders page for the state where your order was issued or contact a local domestic violence direct service provider. You can find lawyers and advocates on our IN Places that Help page.

If your order does expire while you are living in Indiana, you may be able to get a new one issued in Indiana but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Indiana. To find out more information on how to get an order for protection in Indiana, visit our IN Orders for Protection page.