WomensLaw no es solamente para mujeres. Servimos y apoyamos a todos/as los/as sobrevivientes no importa su sexo o género.

Importante: Aun si las cortes están cerradas puede haber una forma para pedir una orden de protección y recursos de emergencia. Vea las Cortes y el COVID-19.

Información Legal: Federal


Ver Todo
18 de diciembre de 2020

¿Cómo pueden mis familiares beneficiarse de mi estatus de refugiado?

When you ask for refugee status, you may also ask that some of your close family members get refugee status too as “derivatives.”1 You must do this within the first two years of being granted refugee status.2 You can include your wife or husband, and children who are menores de 21 años que no están casados/as when you filed your application. Included in the definition of “children” are step-children and adopted children, but the rules are complicated.​​3

Your family members must show that the special barriers to status known as the “grounds of inadmissibility” do not apply to them, or you must ask that U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services “waive” any barriers that do apply to them.4

In addition, when you file for lawful permanent residence after being in the U.S. as a refugee for one year, you can also apply for your family members to get lawful permanent residence.5

1 INA § 207(c)(2); 8 USC § 1157(c)(2)
2 Vea la página de web del USCIS
3 INA § 101(b)(1)(E); 8 USC 1101(b)
4 INA sec. 207(c)(3); 8 USC 1157(c)(3)
5 Vea la página de web del USCIS