WomensLaw serves and supports all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

About Abuse

Financial Abuse

Updated: February 24, 2021

How do I dispute inaccurate information on my credit report?

To dispute inaccurate information, such as a loan or a credit card that you did not open or one that you closed but that still shows up as being open, you can report it to one of the credit bureaus that shows the error. They should contact the company who initiated the account. For example, if your account reflects an open Best Buy credit card that you don’t think you are responsible for opening or that you closed, then the credit bureau should reach out to Best Buy to ask for proof that you opened the account. This process can take 30-90 days, so it’s a good idea to “clean up” your credit report several months prior to a major purchase to ensure you will be given the best interest rates and terms available.

Below are links for the investigation departments of each credit bureau: