WomensLaw is not just for women. We serve and support all survivors, no matter their sex or gender.

Important: Even if courts are closed, you can still file for a protection order and other emergency relief. See our FAQ on Courts and COVID-19.

About Abuse

Financial Abuse

June 19, 2017

The abuser ruined my credit score. Is there anything I can do?

If the abuser has accumulated debt in your name that has not been paid on a timely basis, there are some things you can do to dispute the debt in order to try to repair your credit score.  However, depending on the factors in your specific situation, it may not always be possible to erase debt and to improve your credit score once the damage is done.

You can contact the Federal Trade Commission Consumer Response Center at the contact information below and explain your situation. They should provide you with information about the next steps you can take.

Federal Trade Commission
Consumer Response Center
Washington, DC 20580
1-877-FTC-HELP (1-877-382-4357);TDD: 1-866-653-4261

Keep in mind that you will most likely be held responsible for the debt on any accounts that you co-signed.  If this describes your situation, please read more under the section Getting your money back and other help.

If the abuser has used your identity to commit fraud (i.e., used your identity to spend on your credit cards, open accounts, etc.), the abuser may have committed identity theft.  Please read If someone opened up accounts in my name without my permission, is this identity theft?