What unique tactics are used by transgender abusers to gain power and control over their partners?
Abusers who identify as transgender might use their sexual identity and orientation as a way to manipulate their partner, regardless of the partner’s gender identity. For example:
- Using hormone supplements are an excuse for violent behavior;
- Claiming that the victim's behavior or identity "undermines," "suppresses," or is "disrespectful" of the abuser's identity;
- Claiming that the victim is "not being supportive" if s/he questions the timing and/or cost of the abuser’s transition;
- Denying that the abuser's transition may affect the life of the victim; and/or
- Claiming that the abuser’s gender identity and/or sexual orientation is somehow “better” than the victim's.1