En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Legal Statutes: New York

UPDATED April 20, 2017

Back to New York overview

Part 2. Venue and Preliminary Procedure

back to topSec. 422. Persons who may originate proceedings

(a) A husband, wife, child, or relative in need of public assistance or care may originate a proceeding under this article to compel a person chargeable with the support to support the petitioner as required by law. A social services official may originate a proceeding under this article if so authorized by section one hundred and two of the social services law. The commissioner of mental health may originate a proceeding under this article when authorized by article forty-three of the mental hygiene law. A parent or guardian, of a child, or other person in loco parentis, or a representative of an incorporated charitable or philanthropic society having a legitimate interest in the petitioner, or, when the petitioner is unable because of his physical or mental condition to file a petition, a guardian ad litem, or a committee, conservator, next friend or other person appointed by the court, may file a petition in behalf of a dependent relative.

(b) Any party to a decree of divorce, separation, or annulment may originate a proceeding to enforce or modify a decree of the supreme court or a court of competent jurisdiction, not of the state of New York, as is provided in part six of this article.
(L.1962, c. 686. Amended L.1966, c. 256, § 47; L.1968, c. 331, § 1; L.1973, c. 195, § 21; L.1980, c. 281, § 31; L.1981, c. 115, § 52.)