En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Legal Statutes: Maryland

UPDATED April 19, 2017

Back to Maryland overview

Subtitle 1. In General

back to top§ 9-103. Petition by child to change custody

Petition by child

(a) A child who is 16 years old or older and who is subject to a custody order or decree may file a petition to change custody.

Guardian or next friend not required

(b) A petitioner under this section may file the proceeding in the petitioner's own name and need not proceed by guardian or next friend.

Hearing required

(c) Notwithstanding any other provision of this article, if a petitioner under this section petitions a court to amend a custody order or decree, the court:

(1) shall hold a hearing; and
(2) may amend the order or decree and place the child in the custody of the parent designated by the child.

Added as Family Law § 9-102 by Acts 1984, c. 296, § 2, eff. Oct. 1, 1984. Renumbered as Family Law § 9-103 by Acts 1984, c. 529, § 1, eff. Oct. 1, 1984.