En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Legal Statutes: Texas

UPDATED July 20, 2016

Back to Texas overview

Chapter 102. Filing Suit

back to top102.0045. Standing for Sibling

(a) The sibling of a child may file an original suit requesting access to the child as provided by Section 153.551 if the sibling is at least 18 years of age.

(a-1) The sibling of a child who is separated from the sibling as the result of an action by the Department of Family and Protective Services may file an original suit as provided by Section 153.551 requesting access to the child, regardless of the age of the sibling. A court shall expedite a suit filed under this subsection.

(b) Access to a child by a sibling of the child is governed by the standards established by Section 153.551.

Added by Acts 2005, 79th Leg., ch. 1191, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2005. Amended by Acts 2009, 81st Leg., ch. 1113, § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2009; Acts 2015, 84th Leg., ch. 744 (H.B. 1781), § 1, eff. Sept. 1, 2015.