En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: Alaska

UPDATED September 14, 2017

State Parental Kidnapping Information

Print this page

This page includes information that is specific to this state, about parental kidnapping, also called custodial interference. There is also a page for general information that you may find helpful. Custody and kidnapping are particularly complicated and it is important to try to find an experienced lawyer to help you with your case.

back to topIf my spouse/ex takes the kids out of state without my permission, can s/he be charged with kidnapping?

Maybe.  If the other parent takes the children out of state or somewhere else in the state in violation of a court order, you can file a petition for contempt of court.  In a petition for contempt of court, you are asking a judge to say that the other parent violated the custody order and to force the other parent to follow the order. 

In addition, the criminal law says that if a relative intentionally takes a child from the legal custodian with the intent to keep the child for a long period of time, that parent may be guilty of custodial interference, which is a crime.*  You can read the language of the custodial interference law on our AK Statutes page.  We strongly suggest getting legal advice about your specific situation to see whether or not the other parent's actions may be a crime or not.  You can find legal referrals on our AK Finding a Lawyer page.

* Alaska Statute § 11.41.330

Did you find this information helpful?

WomensLaw.org would like to thank Christine Pate, Pro Bono Project Director, and Andrea Browning, former Legal Advocacy Project Coordinator, at the Alaska Network on Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault for revising this information.

back to top