En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: Utah

UPDATED November 15, 2016

Enforcing your Out-Of-State Order in Utah

Print this page
View All

If you are planning to move to Utah or are going to be in Utah for any reason, your protection or restraining order can be enforced.

General rules for out-of-state orders in Utah

back to topCan I get my protective order enforced in Utah? What are the requirements?

Yes. Your protective order can be enforced in Utah as long as:

  • It was issued to prevent violent or threatening acts, harassing behavior, sexual violence, or it was issued to prevent another person from coming near you or contacting you.*
  • The court that issued the order had jurisdiction over the people and case. (In other words, the court had the authority to hear the case.)
  • The abuser received notice of the order and had an opportunity to go to court to tell his/her side of the story.
    • In the case of ex parte temporary and emergency orders, the abuser must receive notice and have an opportunity to go to court to tell his/her side of the story at a hearing that is scheduled before the temporary order expires.**
Note: For information on enforcing a military protective order (MPO) off the military installation, or enforcing a civil protection order (CPO) on a military installation, please see our Military Protective Orders page.

* 18 U.S.C. § 2266(5)
** 18 U.S.C. § 2265(a) & (b)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topCan I have my out-of-state protective order changed, extended, or canceled in Utah?

No.  Only the state that issued your protective order can change, extend, or cancel the order.  You cannot have this done by a court in Utah.

To have your order changed, extended, or canceled, you will have to file a motion or petition in the court where the order was issued.  You may be able to request that you attend the court hearing by telephone rather than in person, so that you do not need to return to the state where the abuser is living.  Find out if this is possible in your state by calling the clerk of the court that issued your order.  To find out more information about how to modify a restraining order, see the Restraining Order page for the state where your order was issued.

If your order does expire while you are living in Utah, you may be able to get a new one issued in Utah but this may be difficult to do if no new incidents of abuse have occurred in Utah.  To find out more information on how to get a protective order in Utah, visit our UT How to Get a Protective Order page.

Did you find this information helpful?

back to top