En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: Pennsylvania

UPDATED May 25, 2017

Moving to Another State with Your Protection from Abuse Order

Print this page
View All

If you are moving out of state or are going to be out of the state for any reason, your protection from abuse order can still be enforceable.

Enforcing custody provisions in another state

back to topI was granted temporary custody with my PFA. Can I take my kids out of the state?

Maybe.  It may depend on the exact wording of the custody provision in your PFA.  You may have to first seek the permission of the court before leaving.  If the abuser was granted visitation rights with your children, then you may have to have the order changed, or show the court that there is a fair and realistic alternative to the current visitation schedule.

To read more about custody laws in Pennsylvania see our PA Custody Info page.

If you are unsure about whether or not you can take your kids out of the state, it is important to talk to a domestic violence advocate or lawyer who understands domestic violence and custody laws, and can help you make the safest decision for you and your children.  You can find contact information for local domestic violence organizations and legal assistance in the Pennsylvania area on our PA Where to Find Help page.

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topI was granted temporary custody with my PFA. Will another state enforce this custody order?

Yes.  Custody, visitation, and child support provisions that are included in a PFA can be enforced across state lines.  Federal law requires courts and law enforcement officials in other states to enforce these provisions.*

* 18 U.S.C. § 2266

Did you find this information helpful?

back to top