In English
Línea Nacional para la Violencia Doméstica: 1-800-799-7233 o (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Conozca la Ley: Indiana

ACTUALIZADA 24 de mayo, 2016

Moving to Another State with an Indiana Order for Protection

Imprimir esta página
Ver Todo

If you are moving out of state or are going to be out of the state for any reason, your order for protection can still be enforceable.

General rules

arribaCan I get my order for protection from Indiana enforced in another state?

Yes. If you have a valid Indiana order for protection that meets federal standards, it can be enforced in another state. The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which is a federal law, states that all valid protection orders granted in the United States receive "full faith and credit" in all state and tribal courts within the US, including US territories.* See How do I know if my protection order is good under federal law? to find out if your order for protection qualifies.

Each state must enforce out-of-state orders for protections in the same way it enforces its own orders. This means that if the abuser violates your out-of-state order for protection, s/he will be punished according to the laws of whatever state you are in when the order is violated just as s/he would be if s/he violated an order of protection issued by the state you are in. This is what is meant by "full faith and credit."

* 18 U.S.C. § 2265

¿Le fue útil esta información?

arribaHow do I know if my order for protection is good under federal law?

An order for protection is good anywhere in the United States as long as:

  •  It was issued to prevent violent or threatening acts, harassing behavior, sexual violence, or it was issued to prevent another person from coming near you or contacting you.*
  • The court that issued the order had jurisdiction over the people and case. (In other words, the court had the authority to hear the case.)
  • The abuser received notice of the order and had an opportunity to go to court to tell his/her side of the story.
    • In the case of ex parte temporary and emergency orders, the abuser must receive notice and have an opportunity to go to court to tell his/her side of the story at a hearing that is scheduled before the temporary order expires.**
Note: For information on enforcing a military protective order (MPO) off the military installation, or enforcing a civil protection order (CPO) on a military installation, please see our Military Protective Orders page.

* 18 U.S.C. § 2266(5)
** 18 U.S.C. § 2265(a) & (b)

¿Le fue útil esta información?

arribaI have a temporary (ex parte) order. Can it be enforced in another state?

Yes.  An ex parte temporary order can be enforced in other states as long as it meets the requirements listed in How do I know if my order for protection is good under federal law?*

Note: The state where you are going generally cannot extend your ex parte temporary order or issue you a permanent order when the temporary one expires. If you need to extend your temporary order, you will have to contact the state that issued the order and arrange to be at the hearing in person or by telephone (if that is an option offered by the court).  However, you may be able to reapply for one in the new state that you are moving to if you meet the requirements for getting a protective order in that state – but, if you apply for one in a new state, the abuser would know what state you are living in, which may put you in danger.

* 18 U.S.C. § 2265(b)(2)

¿Le fue útil esta información?

back to top