En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: Vermont

UPDATED March 29, 2017

Relief from Abuse Orders

Print this page
View All

A relief from abuse order is a civil order that provides protection from a family or household member.

Steps for getting a relief from abuse order

back to topStep 1: Go to the family court and request an application.

Go to the family division of the superior court (family court) in your area.  You can find a court near you by going to our VT Courthouse Locations page.

Find the court clerk and request a petition for a relief from abuse order, and also tell the clerk if you want a temporary relief from abuse order.  You can also find links to petitions online by going to our VT Download Court Forms page.

Weeknights and weekends, you can apply for a temporary relief from abuse order at your local police station.  You can call the after-hours temporary relief from abuse order telephone number: 800-540-9990.  A family court clerk will be in contact with either you or the police and usually will meet you at the police station.  In exceptionally dangerous circumstances or in cases of physical disabilities, other arrangements may be made with the family court clerk.  Note: You can only get a stalking or sexual assault relief from abuse order during regular business hours.

A domestic violence worker may be able to help you file the complaint both during business hours and after hours or you can go alone and get assistance from a court clerk.  To find a domestic violence organization in your area, see VT State and Local Programs.

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topStep 2: Fill out the application.

Carefully fill out the forms.  Write briefly about the most recent incident of violence, using descriptive language (slapping, hitting, grabbing, choking, threatening, etc.) that fits your situation.  Be specific.  Include details and dates, if possible.  A domestic violence organization may be able to provide you with help filling out the form.  See VT State and Local Programs for the location of an organization near you.

Note:  Do not sign the petition until you have shown it to a clerk, as the form may need to be notarized or signed in the presence of court personnel.

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topStep 3: A judge will review your application.

After you finish filling out your application, bring it to the court clerk.  The clerk will forward it to a judge.  The judge may wish to ask you questions as s/he reviews your petition.  The judge will decide whether or not to issue the temporary order, and if you seek a final order the judge will set a date for a hearing (assuming that your petition is not dismissed).  If a hearing is scheduled, you will be given papers that state the time and date of your hearing for a permanent relief from abuse order.  The hearing will take place within 10 days of your filing your complaint.

When deciding whether to give you an order, a judge must believe that the defendant has abused you and/or your children and either:

  • there is a danger of further abuse; or
  • the abuser is currently incarcerated and has been convicted of one of the following:
    • murder;
    • attempted murder;
    • kidnapping;
    • domestic assault;
    • aggravated domestic assault;
    • sexual assault;
    • aggravated sexual assault;
    • stalking;
    • aggravated stalking;
    • lewd or lascivious conduct with child; or
    • use of a child in a sexual performance, or consenting to a sexual performance.*

* VT ST T. 15 § 1103(c)(1)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topStep 4: Service of process

The abuser must be served with a notice of hearing and with any temporary relief from abuse order that a judge has granted you.  Your relief from abuse order will not be valid until the abuser is served.  If your order is issued during normal business hours, the court clerk should forward your paperwork to law enforcement to serve the abuser.*

Do not try and serve the abuser in person with the papers yourself.

*VT ST T. 15 § 1105(a)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topStep 5: The hearing

Whether a judge grants you a temporary order or not, you may be given a court date for a hearing on your petition within ten business days (assuming that your petition is not dismissed).  The hearing will be in front of a judge, who will decide whether or not to give you a final relief from abuse order.*

It is very important that you attend the court hearing.  If you do not go to the hearing, your temporary order will expire and you will have to start the process over.  If you absolutely cannot attend, contact the court immediately and ask how you can get a "continuance" for a later court date.

If the abuser was served and does not attend the hearing, the court may issue a "default judgment" against him/her and you may receive a final relief from abuse order in his/her absence.  The judge also may decide to pick a new hearing date to give the abuser another chance to come to court.  If this happens, be sure to ask the judge to extend your temporary order if you have one.

At the hearing, you will have the chance to testify in court and present evidence and witnesses to prove the abuse and harassment you have experienced.  The abuser will also be allowed to be present evidence and testify in the hearing to defend himself/herself.  You may want to get a lawyer to represent you at that hearing, especially if you think the abuser will have one.  Go to our VT Finding a Lawyer page for a listing of free and paid lawyers.  If you are going to be in court without a lawyer, you can visit our Preparing Your Case section for ways that you can show the judge that you were abused.

Did you find this information helpful?

back to top