En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: North Carolina

UPDATED November 24, 2014

Domestic Violence Protective Orders ("50B orders")

Print this page
View All

A domestic violence protective order is a civil order that provides protection from someone who you have/had a "personal relationship" with.

After the hearing

back to topWhat should I do when I leave the courthouse?

  • Review the order before you leave the courthouse. If you have any questions about it, be sure to ask the clerk.
  • Make several copies of the DVPO as soon as possible.
  • Keep a copy of the DVPO with you at all times.
  • Leave copies of the DVPO at your work place, at your home, at the children’s school or daycare, in your car, with a sympathetic neighbor, and so on. The sheriff must deliver a copy of the order to the children’s school if the defendant has been ordered to stay away from the school.
  • Give a copy to the security guard or person at the front desk where you live and/or work. You may also want to give them a photo of the defendant.
  • Give a copy of the order to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.
  • If the court has not given you an extra copy for your local law enforcement agency, take one of your extra copies and deliver it to them.
  • You may wish to consider changing your locks and your phone number.

One week after court, call your local law enforcement offices to make sure they have received copies of the DVPO from the clerk.

You may also wish to make a safety plan. Women can do a number of things to increase their safety during violent incidents, when preparing to leave an abusive relationship, and when they are at home, work, and school. Many batterers obey protective orders, but some do not and it is important to build on the things you have already been doing to keep yourself safe. Click on the following link for suggestions on Staying Safe or click the tab on the top of this page.

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topHow do I make sure that the domestic violence protective order is enforced?

Violating a DVPO is against the law. There are 3 ways to get help if your abuser violates the DVPO.

  1. Through the Police or Sheriff (Criminal)
    If the defendant violates the DVPO, you have the option of calling 911 immediately. In some cases, the defendant can be arrested right away. Tell the officers you have a DVPO and the defendant is violating it. Be prepared to show the officer a copy of your order. If the defendant is arrested, then the district attorney can prosecute your abuser because it is a crime to violate a DVPO. If found guilty of a violation of a DVPO, the defendant can be put in jail for up to 150 days depending on the defendant’s criminal record.*
  2. Through the Magistrate's Office (Criminal)
    If the officers do not arrest the defendant immediately, you may contact the magistrate's office to ask for a criminal "warrant" for violation of the DVPO. The warrant tells the police to arrest your abuser. Then, the district attorney can prosecute your abuser. If found guilty, your abuser can be put in jail for up to 150 days depending on the defendant’s prior criminal record.
  3. Through the Civil Court System (Civil)
    You may file for civil contempt for a violation of the order. The abuser is in "civil contempt" if he or she does anything that your DVPO orders him or her not to do. To file for civil contempt, go to the clerk's office and ask for a "Motion for Order to Show Cause" in a DVPO.** If the court finds that the defendant is in contempt, the defendant may be ordered to pay a fine and/or be sentenced to jail time.

NOTE: If you take out a criminal warrant through the magistrate's office and contempt papers through the civil court system based on the same events, contact the district attorney's office before either hearing to discuss punishment options.

*NCGS § 50B-4.1
**NCGS § 50B-4(a)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topHow do I extend my order?

To modify or change your order, go back to the court where you got it and file a petition with the clerk. You can then ask the judge to extend/renew your order for up to two years at a time with the exception of custody provisions which can only last for up to one year.*

It is often helpful to request this renewal at least 30 days before your order expires to make sure there is adequate time for a hearing to be scheduled and conducted. 

Note: You may also have your order renewed more than once.

*NCGS § 50B-3(b)


Did you find this information helpful?

back to topWhat happens if I move?

If you move within North Carolina or to any other state in the US, your order will still be valid and good.

Federal law provides what is called "Full Faith and Credit," which means that once you have a criminal or civil protection order, it follows you wherever you go, including U.S. Territories and tribal lands. Different states have different rules for enforcing out-of-state protection orders. For example, some states require you to register your order in the new state. You can find out about your state’s policies by contacting a domestic violence program, the clerk of courts, or the prosecutor in your area. NC does not require that orders be registered from another state. You do not need to register your order if you move to a different county within NC either.

To read more about how to get your NC protective order enforced in another state, or how to get an out of state protective order enforced in NC, please see our Moving with a Protective Order page.

You can also contact the battered women’s program in the state where you are going to find out how that state treats out-of-state orders. 

If you are moving to a new state, you may also call the National Center on Full Faith and Credit (1-800-903-0111) for information on enforcing your order there.

Note: Civil protective orders may not be enforceable on military bases, and military protective orders may not be enforceable off base. Please check with your local police department, court clerk, and/or domestic violence advocate for more details. Please see our Military Info page for more information.

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topHow can I get an order against stalking or sexual harassment (a civil no-contact order)?

Victims of sexual assault or stalking have a legal right to get an immediate protective order. This is called a civil no-contact order.

This civil no-contact order is similar to the domestic violence protective order because it is designed to prevent attackers or harassers from stalking you, showing up at your workplace or contacting family members.*

With a civil no-contact order, however, you can get an order against a stranger or acquaintance that is stalking or harassing you - you do not have to have a "personal relationship" with the person as required by the DVPO.

Note that if you have had a "personal relationship" as explained in the DVPO laws above, then you cannot get a civil no-contact order. You must file for a DVPO if you seek this type of protection and you have the “personal relationship” as explained in the DVPO laws above.

The procedures for a civil no-contact order are similar to the DVPO procedures outline above, but you will need the correct forms. Links to these forms are available on our Download Court Forms page.

*NCGS § 50C-5

Did you find this information helpful?

back to top