En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: Kansas

UPDATED September 22, 2017

Protection from Stalking or Sexual Assault Orders

Print this page
View All

A protection from stalking order is a civil order that provides protection from someone who has stalked or sexually assaulted you, regardless of the relationship.

After the hearing

back to topWhat should I do when I leave the courthouse?

Here are some steps that you may want to take before, and after, leaving the courthouse:

  • Review the order before you leave the courthouse. If you have any questions about it, be sure to ask the clerk or, if possible, the judge.
  • Make several copies of the order as soon as possible.
  • Keep a copy of the order with you at all times.
  • Leave copies of the order at your workplace, at your home, at your children's school or daycare, in your car, with a sympathetic neighbor, and so on.
  • Give a copy to the security guard or person at the front desk where you live and/or work along with a photo of the abuser.
  • Give a copy of the order to anyone who is named in and protected by the order.

The court will keep your address and telephone number confidential and will only disclose them to authorized court or law enforcement officers.*  However, you may still wish to consider changing your locks, if permitted by law or by your lease, and your phone number if you feel that would make you safer.  You should also think about developing a “safety plan” for you and your family.  A local domestic violence organization may be able to help you design a safety plan that's right for you.  See our KS State and Local Programs page for a list of resources in your area, and our Staying Safe page for more tips on how to protect yourself.

* K.S.A. § 60-31a04(e)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topWhat happens if the defendant violates the order?

If the defendant violates any part of the order, you can call the police and report the violation.  S/he can be held in contempt* by the judge and, depending on what s/he did to violate the order, s/he may also be charged with a crime.  Violating a protection from stalking or sexual assault order can be a class A person misdemeanor.  Violation of an extended protection from stalking or sexual assault order, which was extended for at least 2 years due to the defendant violating the first order or due to him/her being convicted of certain crimes against you, can be a level 6, person felony.**

* K.S.A. § 60-31a09
** K.S.A. § 21-5924(b)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topHow can I change or extend my protection from stalking or sexual assault order?

Extending an order
A final order will expire on the date set by the judge and can last for a period of up to one year, but can be extended under certain circumstances.  To extend it, you must apply for the extension before the expiration of your order.  If you request it, a judge may extend your order by granting a renewal for 1 additional year.*  An order can be extended for at least 2 years and at most, for the lifetime of the defendant if you can prove:

  1. the defendant violated a valid protection order (either the current order or a prior order); or 
  2. the defendant has been convicted of a "person felony" or any conspiracy, criminal solicitation or attempt of a "person felony" against you or any member of your household.**

Changing an order
An order can be changed by a judge at any time upon a motion (a formal request filed in court) by either you or the defendant.***

* K.S.A. § 60-31a06(b),(c)
** K.S.A. § 60-31a06(d)
*** K.S.A. § 60-31a06(e)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to top