En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: Kansas

UPDATED September 22, 2017

Protection from Stalking or Sexual Assault Orders

Print this page
View All

A protection from stalking order is a civil order that provides protection from someone who has stalked or sexually assaulted you, regardless of the relationship.

Steps for getting a protection from stalking or sexual assault order

back to topStep 1: Get the petition.

A petition for a protection from stalking or sexual assault order can be filed with any district judge or clerk of the court unless the petition is being filed by an adult on behalf of the minor -- in that case, it has to be filed in the county where the stalking or sexual assault occurred.*  To find a list of courthouses in Kansas, see our KS Courthouse Locations page.  At the courthouse, the clerk of the court will be able to give you the forms you need to file for a PFS order.**  You can also find the forms online at the Kansas courts website.  Go to our KS Download Court Forms page for the link.

Remember to bring some form of identification (a driver's license or picture I.D.) with you to the courthouse.  You may also want to call the courthouse in advance (if you can) to see if there are certain times that petitions are presented to the judge.

* Kan. Stat. § 60-31a04(a),(b)
** Kan. Stat. § 60-31a04(c)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topStep 2: Fill out the forms.

When you fill out the necessary forms to get a protection from stalking or sexual assault order, you will be known as the plaintiff and the abuser will be the defendant.  You will need to include in the petition:

  • your name;
  • the name of the abuser (defendant);
  • the dates on which the stalking behavior or sexual assault took place; and
  • the specific acts committed.*

Read the petition carefully and ask questions to the courthouse staff if you don’t understand something.  Do not sign the forms until you have shown them to a court clerk since you may need to sign them in front of a notary or a clerk at the courthouse.

* Kan. Stat. § 60-31a04(a)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topStep 3: A judge will review your petition and may grant you an ex parte temporary order.

Your petition will be given to the judge.  If the judge believes there is "good cause" to do so, s/he can grant you an immediate ex parte temporary order.  This order will stay in effect until the full hearing (within 21 days of filing the petition) at which time you can be granted a final order.*  Copies of the temporary order and the petition you filed will be given to you.  Remember to keep a copy of the temporary order with you at all times.

The defendant will have to be formally served with the petition, the ex parte order and the notice of the hearing.  The clerk of court should be able to tell you how the defendant will have to be served and who can serve him/her.

* Kan. Stat. § 60-31a05

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topStep 4: The hearing

Whether or not a judge grants you a temporary order, a court date will usually be set for a hearing on your petition within 21 days of filing.*  This hearing will be in front of a judge, who will decide whether or not to give you a final order.  It is very important that you attend the court hearing.  If you do not go to the hearing, your temporary order (if you have one) will expire.

If the abuser does not show up for the hearing, the judge may enter a "default" order, granting you what you requested in your petition. The judge may also decide to postpone the date of the hearing in order to be able to hear testimony from the abuser.  If the judge postpones the hearing (a continuance), then be sure to have your temporary order extended until that time.

You may wish to hire a lawyer to help with your case, especially if the abuser has a lawyer.  If the abuser shows up with a lawyer, you can ask the judge for a "continuance" (a later court date) so that you have time to find a lawyer.  Go to KS Where to Find Help to find help in your area.

You can also read through the Preparing your Case section for ways you can show the judge that you were abused - this may be especially helpful if you are representing yourself.

* Kan. Stat. § 60-31a05(a)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to top