En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: Pennsylvania

UPDATED January 8, 2015

Basic information about divorce in Pennsylvania.

back to topWhat are the grounds for divorce in Pennsylvania?

In Pennsylvania, you have the option of filing for a no-fault divorce or a fault-based divorce by proving one of the following grounds (reasons):

Fault-based grounds for divorce
The judge may grant a divorce if your spouse has done one of the following:

  • Abandonment without a reasonable cause: your spouse has left the home, without a reasonable cause, for a period of one or more years.
  • Adultery: your spouse has “cheated” on you.
  • Cruel and barbarous treatment: your spouse has treated you in a way that put your life or health at risk (such as acts of domestic violence).
  • Bigamy:  your spouse married you without divorcing his/her first spouse.
  • Imprisonment: your spouse was sentenced to go to jail for two or more years for having committed a crime.
  • Your spouse has acted in a way that made your life unbearable or extremely difficult.*
No-fault grounds for divorce
By claiming the following reasons for divorce, you are claiming that the divorce is NOT your spouse's fault:
  • Institutionalization: your spouse is found to be insane or has a mental disorder and needs to be confined to a mental institution.  Your spouse must have been in a mental institution for at least 18 months prior to filing for divorce, and there must be no reasonable belief that your spouse will be discharged in the 18 months after you file for divorce.  Under these circumstances, a divorce can be granted without a court hearing.
  • Mutual consent: you and your spouse agree that the marriage is irretrievably broken (cannot be fixed).  Each spouse must file an affidavit stating that they consent to the divorce.  After filing for the divorce, the judge will wait 90 days before granting the divorce.  Under these circumstances, a divorce can be granted without a court hearing.
  • Irretrievable breakdown (the marriage cannot be fixed): you and your spouse have lived apart for a period of at least two years, and you file a complaint saying that the marriage is irretrievably broken (unfixable).  To be granted a divorce under these circumstances, your spouse must not deny that the marriage is irretrievably broken, or that you have lived apart for two years.  If he denies either, the judge may still grant a divorce if s/he decides, following a hearing at which your spouse has the opportunity to tell his/her side, that the marriage is irretrievably broken and that you and your spouse have lived apart for two years.  However, if after a hearing the judge decides that there is a reasonable possibility that you and your spouse can reconcile (get back together), the judge will continue the case for a period of approximately 90 – 120 days (unless the parties agree to a period in excess of 120 days).  During this time, the judge will order you both to go to counseling.  If at the end of this period one or both of you still wants a divorce, the judge will reconsider whether s/he believes the marriage is irretrievably broken.  If the judge decides that it is, s/he will grant the divorce. **
* 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 3301(a)
** 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 3301(b)-(e)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topWhat are the residency requirements to file for divorce in Pennsylvania?

You and/or or your spouse must have lived in Pennsylvania for at least six months immediately prior to filing for divorce.*

* 23 Pa.C.S.A. § 3104(b)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topWhat are the basic steps for filing for divorce?

While divorce laws vary by state, here are the basic steps:

  • First, you must meet the residency requirements of the state.
  • Second, you must have “grounds” (a legally acceptable reason) to end your marriage.
  • Third, you must file divorce papers and have copies sent to your spouse.
  • Fourth, if your spouse disagrees with anything in the divorce papers, he will have the opportunity to file papers telling his side. This is called “contesting the divorce.” In this case, you will have to attend a series of court appearances to sort the issues out. If your spouse does not disagree with anything, he should sign the papers and send them back to you and/or the court. This is called an “uncontested divorce.” If a certain period of time passes and your spouse does not sign the papers or file any papers of his/her own, you may be able to proceed with the divorce as an uncontested divorce anyway. You should speak to a lawyer in your state about how long you have to wait to see if your spouse answers the divorce papers before you can continue with the divorce.
  • Fifth, if there is property that you need divided, or if you need financial support from your spouse, you will have to work that out in an out-of-court settlement, or in a series of court hearings. Custody may also be decided as part of your divorce.

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topWhere can I find additional information about divorce?

We hope the following links to outside sources may be useful.

The Pennsylvania Bar Association has a brochure on divorce and separation, which also includes information on annulment.

The Unified Judicial System of Pennsylvania has a legal glossary that you may find helpful if you choose to get a divorce.

Neighborhood Legal Services Association provides information about divorce, including information about alimony.

WomensLaw.org is unrelated to the above organizations and cannot vouch for the accuracy of their sites.  We provide these links for your information only.

Did you find this information helpful?

back to top