En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: Delaware

UPDATED April 12, 2017

View All

General information about divorce in Delaware.

Additional information

back to topIf I am getting divorced, can I take my kids out of the state?

It depends.  Once a petition for divorce or annulment has been filed, a restriction called a “preliminary injunction” is put in place against both parents that prohibits them from taking any children who live in Delaware out of the state without the prior written consent of your spouse or the permission of the court.  So if you want to take your child out of the state, even for vacation, you should ask the other parent for written permission or the judge for permission first.*

Note: The preliminary injunction applies to the petitioner as soon as s/he files the petition and against the respondent as soon as s/he is served with a copy of the petition.

* 13 Del.C. § 1509(a)(3)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topCan I have my name changed back to my maiden or former name?

Yes.  You can ask the court in a pleading (the complaint or answer) or in a motion to order that you can resume your maiden or former name.*

* 13 Del.C. § 1514

Did you find this information helpful?

back to top