In English
Línea Nacional para la Violencia Doméstica: 1-800-799-7233 o (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Conozca la Ley: Wyoming

ACTUALIZADA 23 de diciembre, 2016

Ver Todo strongly recommends that you get in touch with a lawyer in your community for more information on custody.  Go to the WY Where to Find Help page for a listing of organizations that can help.

After a custody order is in place

arribaIf a custody order is already in place, how can I get it changed?

To change a custody or visitation order that is already in place, you need to file a petition to modify the order (which you can find on the Wyoming Courts website).  For the judge to grant you a change in custody or visitation, you need to show that there has been a material (substantial) change in circumstances since the order was issued and that changing the order would be in the best interests of your child.  Although there are many things that can qualify as a material change in circumstances, the law specifically identifies the "repeated and unreasonable failure of the custodial parent to allow visitation provided for in the custody order" as one example of a material change that can cause the judge to modify the order.*

Also, if a parent is in the military and gets temporarily deployed, is ordered to move a substantial distance away, or there is some other military-related reason that s/he can’t exercise his/her custody or visitation responsibilities temporarily, this could be grounds to temporarily modify an order.  However, the temporary duty, mobilization or deployment and the resulting disruption to the child's schedule are not considered a “material change in circumstances” for the purpose of seeking a permanent modification of the order.**  Note: During the time that the service member parent is away, his/her visitation rights can be used by his/her family member who has a close and substantial relationship to the child.***

* W.S. § 20-2-204(c)
** W.S. § 20-2-205(a)
*** W.S. § 20-2-205(b)

¿Le fue útil esta información?

arribaCan I change the state where the case is being heard?

Possibly. It may depend on many factors, which we explain on our general custody page in the Changing a final custody order section.  This is often complicated, and as with all custody issues, it is probably best to talk to a lawyer about this.  Please visit our WY Finding a Lawyer page.

¿Le fue útil esta información?

arribaCan a parent who does not have custody have access to the child's records?

Yes.  Generally, both custodial and non-custodial parents have the same right of access to any records relating to their child, including school records, activities, teachers, teachers' conferences, medical/dental treatment providers, and mental health records. However, a judge can order otherwise.*  If you believe that you or your child will be in danger if the other parent can access these records, you can mention this to the judge and try to prove why the other parent's access should be limited or taken away.

* W.S § 20-2-201(e)

¿Le fue útil esta información?

back to top