En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: Arizona

UPDATED September 15, 2017

In Arizona, a tenant who is a victim of domestic violence (as defined by law) can terminate his/her lease early without penalty and/or require that his/her landlord change the locks to the home if the tenant pays for the costs.  Below we have some basic information about these housing laws.

back to topWho is protected by these housing laws? What protections do they offer?

If you (the tenant) are a victim of domestic violence (as defined by law), you may be able to terminate your lease early without penalty.  To terminate your lease, you must complete these two steps:

  1. Provide the landlord written notice requesting termination of the rental agreement on a date that both you and your landlord agree upon, which must be within the next 30 days.  You must provide this written notice within 30 days after the domestic violence happened (although the landlord can allow you to terminate your lease based on an incident that happened more than 30 days ago if the landlord chooses); and 
  2. Give your landlord one of the following: 
    • a copy of your protective order that must have been issued based on the domestic violence; (Note:The landlord may request that you also provide a receipt or signed statement that the order of protection has been given to law enforcement to be served upon the abuser); or
    • a copy of a police report (or other law enforcement report) that proves that you reported to law enforcement that you were a victim of domestic violence.*
Note: If requested by your landlord, you must provide, in writing, the name and address (if known) of the respondent/abuser against whom you have your order of protection or police report.**

If you (the tenant) are a victim of domestic violence (as defined by law), you also may be able to require the landlord to change the locks on your home or apartment if you pay for the costs of the installation.***

* A.R.S. § 33-1318(A),(C)
** A.R.S. § 33-1318(B)
*** A.R.S. § 33-1318(E)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topDo I still have to pay rent that I owed to the landlord before I terminated my lease?

Most likely, yes.  Even if you terminate your lease, you will still have to pay the landlord any unpaid rent or other money that you already owed him/her before the lease was terminated, including rent for the month that you will be living there after you give the 30 days notice of termination.  This amount must be paid to the landlord on or before the date you vacate the home or apartment that you were renting.  You will not have to pay rent for the months that would have been left on the lease after you leave the apartment or house, assuming you properly followed all of the steps outlined in the previous question. (Note: If you already pre-paid rent that would apply for the month in which you terminate your lease, your landlord does not have to refund that money to you.)*

Additionally, your landlord cannot keep your security deposit solely because you are terminating your lease early under this law.  Your landlord, however, can keep this deposit for other reasons, such as if there is damage to the apartment, etc.*

* A.R.S. § 33-1318(D)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to top