En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: Utah

UPDATED December 27, 2016

View All

You can file a stalking injunction against someone who is stalking you regardless of your relationship to that person.  However, if the person who is stalking you is a "cohabitant" (family/household member or intimate partner), you may want to file for a protective order based on domestic violence/abuse instead.

Getting the order

back to topWhere can I get a stalking injunction?

You can file a petition for a stalking injunction at the district court where you live, where the stalker lives, or where any of the stalking events occurred.*

* UT ST § 77-3a-101(2)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topCan a minor get a stalking injunction?

If you are a minor, you can file a petition on your own (with your parent or guardian present), or a parent/guardian can file one for you.*

* UT ST § 77-3a-101(2)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topWhat are the steps to get a stalking injunction?

The steps to get a stalking injunction are similar to the steps to get a domestic violence protective order.  Unlike a domestic violence protective order, however, if you are granted an ex parte stalking injunction, that injunction can remain in effect unless and until the stalker requests a hearing to object to the order.  The stalker can request a hearing within 10 days of being served with the ex parte injunction.*  If the stalker does not request a hearing within the 10 days, the ex parte injunction automatically becomes a civil stalking injunction and will be in effect for 3 years.** 

See the UT Courts website for the relevant forms for filing a petition for a civil stalking injunction.  On the petition, you are the petitioner. You must include your address, as well as the name and address of alleged stalker (respondent).  Note: If you do not want your address written on your petition, let the court staff know when you file your petition.  Your address can be kept on a separate document which will not be released to the stalker.  You must also describe the events and dates of the stalking, as well as any police reports, letters, or other information relevant to the events.****

If you have any questions, you can call the clerk of court.  You can find the contact information for your clerk on the UT Courthouse Locations page.  An advocate at a local domestic violence program may also be able to assist you with the paperwork.  You can find contact information for local programs on the UT State and Local Programs page.  Also, if you want to get legal advice and/or representation at the hearing, you can find legal referrals on our UT Finding a Lawyer page.

* UT ST § 77-3a-101(6)
** UT ST § 77-3a-101(9)
*** UT ST § 77-3a-101(4)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to top