En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws:

Immigration rules can be complicated, but the pages below will help give you an idea of your options and your rights.  However, we strongly suggest that before taking any action, you consult with (and retain) a lawyer who specializes in the type of immigration remedy you are seeking.  For lawyer referrals, please see the Immigration/International page on WomensLaw.org.

  • VAWA Laws for Abuse Victims

    Certain spouses, children, and parents that have been abused by US citizens (“USCs”) or legal permanent residents (“LPRs”) may obtain lawful status through the Violence Against Women Act (“VAWA”).

  • U Visa Laws for Crime Victims

    Information for obtaining legal status if you are the victim of a crime (including domestic abuse) and are or will be helpful in the investigation or prosecution of the crime.

  • T-Visa Laws for Trafficking Victims

    T-visas are designed to provide immigration status to noncitizen survivors of a severe form of human trafficking.

  • Asylum

    If you are an immigrant in the U.S. afraid to return to your home country due to a fear of persecution (mistreatment/abuse), you may be eligible for asylum, which would allow you to stay in the U.S. legally.

  • Refugee Status

    If you are a non-U.S. citizen living outside of the U.S. and you are afraid to return to your home country due to a fear of persecution (mistreatment/abuse), you might be eligible for refugee status, which would allow you to come to the U.S. legally.

back to top