En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: Alaska

UPDATED September 14, 2017

Enforcing an Out-of-State Protection Order in Alaska

Print this page
View All

You can have your protective order from another state or territory enforced in Alaska.

Registering your out-of-state order in Alaska

back to topWhat is the National Crime Information Center Registry? Who has access to it?

The National Crime Information Center Registry (NCIC) is a nationwide, electronic database that contains orders of protection, used by law enforcement agencies in the U.S, Canada, and Puerto Rico. It is managed by the FBI and state law enforcement officials.

All law enforcement officials have access to it, but the information is encrypted so outsiders cannot access it.

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topHow do I file my out-of-state or tribal order with the court system?

You can file a certified copy of any out-of-state, unexpired protective order with the clerk of court in any judicial district in Alaska.  It can be an order issued by a court in another state or territory, a United States military tribunal, or a tribal court.* To see contact information for courthouses where you can file your order, go to our AK Courthouse Locations page.  The clerk will file stamp the order and assign it a civil case number from the Alaska court system.  No copy or notice is distributed to the respondent, the file is not reviewed by a judge, and no hearing is set.

The clerk will then give the order to the appropriate local law enforcement agency for entry into the central registry (the same distribution procedure used for Alaskan protective orders).** It is important to get a copy of your stamped order and keep a copy on you at all times, in case there is any delay in the order getting entered into the Alaska central registry for protective orders.  

* Alaska Statute § 18.66.140(b)
** Alaska Statute § 18.66.140(c)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topWill the abuser be notified if I register my order?

Under the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which applies to all U.S. states and territories, the court is not permitted to notify the abuser when a protective order has been registered or filed in a new state unless you specifically request that the abuser be notified.*  However, you may wish to confirm that the clerk is aware of this law before registering the order if your address is confidential.

However, remember that there may be a possibility that the abuser could somehow find out what state you have moved to.  It is important to continue to safety plan, even if you are no longer in the state where the abuser is living.  We have some safety planning tips to get you started on our Staying Safe page.  You can also contact a local domestic violence organization to get help in developing a personalized safety plan. You will find contact information for organizations in your area on our AK State and Local Programs page.

* 18 USC § 2265(d)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to top