En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Know the Laws: Maryland

UPDATED April 19, 2017

Enforcing Your Out-of-State Order in Maryland

Print this page
View All

If you are planning to move to Maryland or are going to be in Maryland for any reason, your protection or restraining order can be enforced.

Registering your Out-of-State Order in Maryland

back to topWhat is the National Crime Information Center (NCIC) Registry? Who has access to it?

The National Crime Information Center Registry (NCIC) is a nationwide, electronic database that contains protective orders, that is used by law enforcement agencies in the U.S, Canada, and Puerto Rico.  It is managed by the FBI and state law enforcement officials.

Before moving to Maryland, the state that issued your protection order may already have entered your order into the NCIC.  If not, your order may be entered into the NCIC if you register your order in Maryland.

All law enforcement officials have access to it, but the information is encrypted so outsiders cannot access it.

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topHow do I register my protective order in Maryland?

Although registering an order is not required for the order to be enforced, the Maryland courts website has a form available for registering a foreign protection order here.  For advice on whether or not to register the order, you may want to talk to an attorney.  Go to our MD Finding a Lawyer page for referrals. 

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topDo I have to register my protective order in Maryland in order to get it enforced?

No.  Maryland state law gives full protection to an out-of-state protection order as long as it has been filed with the local court or as long as you can show the officer a copy of the order that appears to be valid.*  Maryland does not have a registration process in place, so your order does not have to be entered into the state or federal registry in order to be enforced by a Maryland police officer.**  It is important to know, however, that the protections that are allowed under Maryland state law are the ones that will be enforced.***  For more information, you may want to get advice from an attorney who is familiar with foreign protection orders.  You can find legal referrals on our MD Finding a Lawyer page.

* MD Code, Family Law § 4-508.1(b),(c)
** MD Code, Family Law § 4-508.1(c)
*** MD Code, Family Law § 4-508.1(b)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topWill the abuser be notified if I register my protective order?

Under the federal Violence Against Women Act (VAWA), which applies to all U.S. states and territories, the court is not permitted to notify the abuser when a protective order has been registered or filed in a new state unless you specifically request that the abuser be notified.*  However, you may wish to confirm that the clerk is aware of this law before registering the order if your address is confidential.

However, remember that there may be a possibility that the abuser could somehow find out what state you have moved to.  It is important to continue to safety plan, even if you are no longer in the state where the abuser is living.  We have some safety planning tips to get you started on our Staying Safe page.  You can also contact a local domestic violence organization to get help in developing a personalized safety plan.  You will find contact information for organizations in your area on our MD State and Local Programs page.

* 18 USC § 2265(d)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to topDoes it cost anything to register my protective order?

Under federal law, which applies to all states, U.S. states and territories that receive certain federal funding cannot charge you a fee to register, obtain or serve a protection order that is related to domestic violence, sexual assault, or stalking.*  All 50 states, U.S. territories, and some tribes receive this funding.  If you believe you are wrongly being charged a fee, you can contact the National Center on Protection Orders and Full Faith & Credit at 800-903-0111, ext. 2 for assistance.

* 42 USC §3796hh(c)(4); see also MD ST § 7-202(II)(G)(2)

Did you find this information helpful?

back to top