En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Where to Find Help

UPDATED July 31, 2012

Courthouse Locations

Rhode Island

Print this page

WomensLaw regrets that these resources have not been updated recently.  However, please note that the legal content on the Know the Laws section is updated annually and the rest of the website is also updated regularly.

Below is a list of courthouses where you can file for a protection order.  (If you want to file for custody, divorce, or anything else, you may want to call the courthouse to make sure that the court we have listed is the proper courthouse.)  At the courthouse, the clerk will provide you with the forms that you need to file.   If you need assistance filling out the forms, the clerk may be able to give basic instructions, but the clerk usually cannot help you decide what information to write or give you any sort of advice.   You will also find links to online forms at our RI Download Court Forms page.  For further help, you may want to reach out to a local domestic violence program or a legal services organization.  You can find links to both types of organizations on our RI Where to Find Help page.


Kent County Courthouse
James W. Leighton Judicial Complex
222 Quaker Lane
Warwick, RI 02886-0100
Phone: (401) 822-6725
Phone: (401) 822-6680 Advocate


Washington County Courthouse
45 Washington Square
Newport, RI 02840
Phone: (401) 841-8330 Main Number
Phone: (401) 841 8340 Family Court


Garrahy Judicial Complex
One Dorrance Street
Providence, RI 02903
Phone: (401) 458-5400 General Phone
Phone: (401) 458-3200 For domestic violence calls


McGrath Judicial Complex
4800 Tower Hill Road
Wakefield, RI 02879
Phone: (401) 782-4180 Main Number
Phone: (401) 841-8340 Family Court

back to top