En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Where to Find Help

UPDATED July 24, 2015

Courthouse Locations

District of Columbia

Print this page

Below is a list of courthouses where you can file for a protection order. (If you want to file for custody, divorce, or anything else, you may want to call the courthouse to make sure that the court we have listed is the proper courthouse.) At the courthouse, the clerk will provide you with the forms that you need to file.   If you need assistance filling out the forms, the clerk may be able to give basic instructions, but the clerk usually cannot help you decide what information to write or give you any sort of advice.  You will also find links to online forms at our DC Download Court Forms page.  For further help, you may want to reach out to a local domestic violence program or a legal services organization.  You can find links to both types of organizations on our DC Where to Find Help page.

Domestic Violence Intake Center - N.W.
Moultrie Courthouse, D.C. Superior Court
500 Indiana Avenue, N.W., Room 4550
Washington, DC 20001
Phone: (202) 879-0157
Fax: (202) 879-1191
Web: http://www.dccourts.gov/dccourts/superior/family/selfhelp.jsp
Hours of operation: Monday through Friday 8:30am to 5:00pm. Hearings are held Monday through Friday 9:00am to 4:00pm.

Domestic Violence Intake Center - S.E.
United Medical Center (formerly Greater Southeast Hospital), Room 311
1328 Southern Avenue, S.E., Suite 311
Washington, DC 20032
Phone: 202-561-3000
Hours of operation: Monday through Friday 8:30am to 4:00pm. Hearings at this location are done via teleconference. This location handles initial petitions and temporary protection orders only. You should arrive by 3:00pm to fill out paperwork. For the year-long civil protection order hearing, you must go to the Moultrie Courthouse.

back to top