En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Where to Find Help

UPDATED August 15, 2010

Courthouse Locations


Print this page

Below is a list of courthouses where you can file for a protection order.  (If you want to file for custody, divorce, or anything else, you may want to call the courthouse to make sure that the court we have listed is the proper courthouse.)  At the courthouse, the clerk will provide you with the forms that you need to file.  If you need assistance filling out the forms, the clerk may be able to give basic instructions, but the clerk usually cannot help you decide what information to write or give you any sort of advice.  You will also find links to online forms at our PA Download Court Forms page.  For further help, you may want to reach out to a local domestic violence program or a legal services organization.  You can find links to both types of organizations on our PA Where to Find Help page.


Adams County

Adams County Courthouse
117 Baltimore Street
Gettysburg, PA 17325
Phone: (717) 337-9846
Web: http://www.adamscounty.us/Dept/CourtofCommonPleas/CourtAdministration/Pages/ProtectionfromAbuse.aspx
In an emergency situation when the Courthouse is closed or after 2:30 p.m. Monday - Friday, you must file your PFA Petition with the Magisterial District Judge (MDJ) on duty. You can do this by calling Adams County Control (717-334-8101), tell them you want to file an emergency PFA Petition, and ask them to contact the on-duty MDJ.

Allegheny County

Allegheny County Courthouse
Family Court
440 Ross Street, Room 3030
Pittsburgh, PA 15219
Phone: (412) 350-5600
Web: https://www.alleghenycourts.us/family/pfa/default.aspx
Protection from abuse intake hours: 8:00 a.m.- 11:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m.- 3:00 p.m.

Armstrong County

Armstrong County Courthouse
500 E. Market Street
Kittanning, PA 16201
Phone: (724) 548-3284
Web: http://www.accourts.com/home
To get a PFA order, a victim would call HAVIN's 24 hour hotline (see: www.havinpa.org) and make an appointment to speak with an advocate who helps the victim to fill out the forms and take them to the courthouse. The number is 724-548-8888 or 800-841-8881. Generally, a victim would not go to the courthouse directly to file for a PFA unless s/he already has an emergency PFA issued from the magistrate (during non-business hours) and then s/he can bring that order to the courthouse the next day to file for a PFA. (information confirmed in 10/2014)

Beaver County

Beaver County Courthouse
810 Third Street
Beaver, PA 15009
Phone: 724-728-5700
Web: http://www.beavercountypa.gov/courts/domestic-relations/domestic-relations-protection-abuse-order
You must arrive between 8:30am and 9:00am, Monday through Friday, to file a petition for Protection From Abuse. Regular operating hours are 8:30am-4:30pm. If an order is needed outside of business hours, call 911.

Bedford County

Bedford County Courthouse
Annex #1
Bedford, PA 15522
Phone: (814) 623-4812
Web: http://www.bedfordcountypa.org/Court_Administrator.html

Berks County

Berks County Services Center
PFA Office
633 Court Street, 1st Floor
Reading, PA 19601
Phone: (610) 478-6208 x 5701/5702
Web: http://www.co.berks.pa.us/BerksTraining/Courts-old/FamCourt/Pages/ProtectionFromAbuse.aspx
Petitions for Protection From Abuse filing between 8:00am and 2:00pm. PFA office hours between 8:00am and 5:00 pm.

Blair County

Blair County Courthouse
PFA Office
423 Allegheny Street, Suite 365
Hollidaysburg, PA 16648
Phone: (814) 693-0130
The PFA Office is open Monday-Friday, 8:00am-4:00pm. HOWEVER, because it takes up to 2-3 hours to process the protection from abuse order, you should get there before 2:00pm.

Bradford County

Bradford County Courthouse
Court Administration
301 Main Street, 3rd Floor
Towanda, PA 18848-1880
Phone: (570) 265-1707
You must file the petition between 8:00am and 3:30pm.

Bucks County

Bucks County Courthouse
Prothonotary's Office
30 East Court Street, 1st Floor
Doylestown, PA 18901
Phone: (215) 348-6822
Web: http://www.buckscounty.org/Courts/ProtectionFromAbuse
You must arrive between 8:00am and 2:30pm, Monday-Friday, to file your petition.

Butler County

Butler County Government Center
Domestic Relations
124 W. Diamond Street, Level L
Butler, PA 16003
Phone: (724) 284-5181
Phone: (724) 284-5200

Cambria County

Cambria County Courthouse
Prothonotary's Office
200 South Center Street, 1st Floor
Ebensburg, PA 15931
Phone: (814) 472-1638
Phone: (814) 472-1540

Cameron/Elk Counties

See Elk/Cameron Counties

Carbon County

Carbon County Courthouse
Prothonotary's Office
4 Broadway, 1st floor
Jim Thorpe, PA 18229
Phone: (570) 325-2481
Web: http://www.carboncourts.com/pfa.htm
You must arrive between 8:30am and 3:00pm to file your petition.

Centre County

Centre County Courthouse
Court Administration
Room 208
102 South Allegheny Street in Bellefonte, PA 16823
Phone: (814) 355-6727
Web: http://centrecountypa.gov/index.aspx?nid=434

Chester County

Chester County Courthouse
Family Court Administration
201 W. Market Street, 5th Floor
West Chester, PA 19380
Phone: (610) 344-6170
The office is open from Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm. HOWEVER, it takes about 2-3 hours to file the petition, so you should arrive no later than 2:00pm.

Clarion County

Clarion County Courthouse
Courthouse 421 Main Street
Clarion, PA 16214
Phone: (814) 226-9351
To file your petition, you should go to the Safe Office at 1302 East Main Street, Clarion, PA 16214. They are open Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm to help you. You can contact them at (814) 226-8481.

Clearfield County

Clearfield County Courthouse
230 East Market Street
Clearfield, PA 16830
Phone: 814-765-2641
To file your petition, go to Crossroads at 211 East Locust Street, Clearfield, PA 16830. They are open Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm. You can reach them at 814-768-7200.

Clinton County

Clinton County Courthouse
230 East Water Street
Lock Haven, PA 17745
Phone: (570) 893-4016

Columbia County

Columbia County Courthouse
Prothonotary's Office
35 West Main Street
Bloomsburg, PA 17815
Phone: (570) 389-5614
Web: http://www.thewomenscenterinc.org/legal.htm
While you can file the petition directly with the Prothonotary's Office, the majority of victims reach out to the Bloomsburg's Women Center at 570-784-6632 or Beyond Violence at 570-759-0298. These organizations offer free legal help with filing the petition.

Crawford County

Crawford County Courthouse
903 Diamond Square
Meadville, PA 16335
Phone: (814) 333-7484

Cumberland County

Cumberland County Courthouse
Prothonotary's Office
1 Courthouse Square
Carlisle, PA 17013
Phone: (717) 240-6195
Web: http://www.dvscp.org/LegalMedAdvoc.html
You must first go to Domestic Violence Services of Cumberland and Perry Counties to file your petition. You can contact them at 717-258-4806 or their 24-hour hotline 1-800-852-2102.

Dauphin County

Dauphin County Courthouse
Victim Witness Assistant Program
101 Market Street, 2nd Floor
Harrisburg, PA 17101
Phone: (717) 780-7077
They are open from 8:00-4:00pm. HOWEVER, you must get there by 2:00pm in order to file your petition that day.

Delaware County

Delaware County Courthouse
Office of Judicial Support
201 W. Front Street, Room 126
Media, PA 19063
Phone: (610) 891-4381
Web: http://www.co.delaware.pa.us/ojs/index.html

Elk/Cameron Counties

Elk County Courthouse
240 Main Street
Ridgway, PA 15853
Phone: (814) 776-6144

Erie County

Erie County Courthouse
PFA Office
140 West Sixth Street Room 225
Erie, PA 16501-1030
Phone: (814) 451-6324
You must arrive between 8:00am and 9:00am to file your petition.

Fayette County

Fayette County Courthouse
Prothonotary's Office
61 East Main Street
Uniontown, PA 15401
Phone: (724) 430-1272
You can file your petition between 8:00am and 3:30pm.

Forest/Warren Counties

Franklin County Courthouse
See Warren/Forest CountiesFranklin/Fulton Counties (39)
157 Lincoln Way East
Chambersburg, PA 17201
Phone: (717) 261-3848

Greene County

Greene County Courthouse
Waynesburg, PA 15370
Phone: (724) 852-5237

Huntingdon County

Huntingdon County Courthouse
223 Penn Street
Huntingdon, PA 16652
Phone: (814) 643-5078

Indiana County

Indiana County Courthouse
Fourth Floor
Indiana, PA 15701
Phone: (724) 465-3955
825 Philadelphia Street

Jefferson County

Jefferson County Courthouse
200 Main Street
Brookville, PA 15825
Phone: (814) 849-1631

Juniata/Perry Counties

See Perry/Juniata Counties

Lackawanna County

Lackawanna County Courthouse
200 North Washington Avenue
Scranton, PA 18503
Phone: (570) 963-6773

Lancaster County

Lancaster County Courthouse
50 North Duke Street
Lancaster, PA 17608-3480
Phone: (717) 299-8041
Web: http://www.padutch.com/z/domesticviolenceclinic.htm
You can file your petition with the Domestic Violence Legal Clinic who will provide help with filing the Protection from Abuse Order. You can file your petition from 8:30am-3:00pm.

Lawrence County

Lawrence County Government Center
New Castle, PA 16101
Phone: (724) 656-1930

Lebanon County

Lebanon County Courthouse
400 South Eighth Street
Lebanon, PA 17042
Phone: (717) 801-2350
Room 308

Lehigh County

Lehigh County Courthouse
455 West Hamilton Street
Allentown, PA 18105-1548
Phone: (610) 782-3014

Luzerne County

Luzerne County Courthouse
200 North River Street
Wilkes-Barre, PA 18711
Phone: (570) 825-1595

Lycoming County

Lycoming County Courthouse
48 West Third Street
Williamsport, PA 17701
Phone: (570) 327-2330

McKean County

McKean County Courthouse
500 West Main Street
Smethport, PA 16749
Phone: (814) 887-3302

Mercer County

Mercer County Courthouse
105 North Diamond Street
1st Floor
Mercer, PA 16137
Phone: (724) 662-7561
Monday-Friday, 8:30am-4:30pm.

Mifflin County

Mifflin County Courthouse
20 North Wayne Street
Lewistown, PA 17044
Phone: (717) 248-4613
You must first go to the Abuse Network to file your petition located at 31 S. Dorcas Street, Lewistown, PA 17044. You can reach them at 717-242-0715.

Monroe County

Monroe County Courthouse
Prothonotary's Office
610 Monroe Street, 3rd Floor
Stroudsburg, PA 18360
Phone: (570) 517-3370

Montgomery County

Montgomery County Courthouse
Court Administration
2 E. Airy Street, 2nd Floor
Norristown, PA 19401
Phone: (610) 278-5977

Montour County

Columbia County Courthouse
Prothonotary's Office
35 West Main Street
Bloomsburg, PA 17815
Phone: (570) 389-5614
You can go directly to the Prothonotary's Office to file your petition or you may reach out to the Bloomsburg's Women Center at 570-784-6632 or Beyond Violence at 570-759-0298. These majority of victims file their petitions with these organizations because they can help you with the paperwork.

Northampton County

Northampton County Government Center
PFA Office
669 Washington Street
Easton, PA 18042
Phone: (610) 559-3061

Northumberland County

Northumberland County Courthouse
Protection From Abuse Office
201 Market Street
Sunbury, PA 17801
Phone: (570) 988-4172

Perry/Juniata Counties

Perry County Courthouse
P.O. Box 668
New Bloomfield, PA 17068
Phone: 717-582-5143, Ext. 233

Philadelphia County

Philadelphia Family Court
34 S. 11th St.
Philadelphia, PA 19107
Phone: (215) 686-3519
Web: http://www.courts.phila.gov/common-pleas/family/dr/
Handles domestic relations cases, including PFA's and child custody

Pike County

Pike County Courthouse
412 Broad Street
Milford, PA 18337
Phone: (570) 296-7231

Potter County

Potter County Courthouse
Prothonotary's Office
1 E. 2nd Street, Room 23
Coudersport, PA 16915
Phone: (814) 274-9720

Schuylkill County

Schuylkill County Courthouse
Victim Advocates Office
401 North Second Street, 2nd Floor
Pottsville, PA 17901
Phone: (570) 628-1336
You can only file your petition Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays between 9:00am and 10:00am.

Snyder/Union Counties

Snyder County Courthouse
P.O. Box 217
Middleburg, PA 17842
Phone: (570) 837-4359

Somerset County

Somerset County Courthouse
Court Administration
111 East Union Street, Suite 165
Somerset, PA 15501
Phone: (814) 445-1428
You can also go to Southwestern PA Legal Services for help filing your petition. They are located at 218 North Kimberly Avenue, Suite 101, Somerset, PA 15501. You can also reach them at 817-443-4615.

Sullivan/Wyoming Counties

See Wyoming/Sullivan Counties

Susquehanna County

Susquehanna County Courthouse
P.O. Box 218
Montrose, PA 18801
Phone: 570-278-4600, Ext. 195

Tioga County

Tioga County Courthouse
118 Main Street
Wellsboro, PA 16901
Phone: (570) 724-9380
Web: http://havenoftiogacounty.org/Services/Services.htm
To file your petition you must first go to Haven at 6 Old Tioga Street, Wellsboro, PA 16901. You can also reach them at 570-724-3549.

Union/Snyder Counties

See Snyder/Union Counties

Venango County

Venango County Courthouse
168 Liberty Street
Franklin, PA 16323
Phone: (814) 432-9606
Web: http://www.fscas.org/ppc-vfn.htm
To file your petition, you should first go to the PPC Violence Free Network to meet with an advocate. They are located at 216 E. 2nd Street, Oil City, PA 16301. You can also reach them at 814-676-5350.

Warren/Forest Counties

Warren County Courthouse
204 Fourth Avenue
Warren, PA 16365
Phone: (814) 728-3530
You can also go to A Safe Place for help filing your petition. They are located at 300 Hospital Drive. You can also reach them at 814-726-1030 or 800-338-3460.

Washington County

Washington County Courthouse
1 South Main Street, Basement
Washington, PA 15301
Phone: (724) 223-8349

Wayne County

Wayne County Courthouse
925 Court Street
Honesdale, PA 18431
Phone: (570) 253-0101

Westmoreland County

Westmoreland County Courthouse
Court Administration
Main Street, M6
Greensburg, PA 15601
Phone: (724) 853-2207
Web: http://www.co.westmoreland.pa.us/westmoreland/cwp/view.asp?Q=621029
You can file your petition Monday-Friday, 8:30am-11:30am and 1:00pm-2:00pm

Wyoming/Sullivan Counties

Wyoming County Courthouse
One Courthouse Square
Tunkhannock, PA 18657
Phone: (570) 836-3151

York County

York County Government Center
45 N. George St.
York, PA 17401
Phone: (717) 771-9234
Web: http://www.york-county.org/departments/courts/PFA/index.html

back to top