En Español
National Domestic Violence Hotline: 1-800-799-SAFE (7233) or (TTY) 1-800-787-3224

Where to Find Help

UPDATED June 26, 2015

Legal Assistance


Print this page
View All

Included in this list are organizations that provide free or low-cost legal services to victims of abuse and others who qualify.   Even if the organization does not have a lawyer available to represent you in court, you may want to ask if there is a lawyer who you can consult with to get advice.  Please note that we list the organizations by the town/city or county where the office is located – however, many offices may likely serve multiple counties.  We indicate the “counties served” whenever possible.  You can click the blue “View All” button to look through the complete list of organizations.



Birmingham Volunteer Lawyers Program
Mailing Address: Birmingham Bar Center
2021 Second Ave N
Birmingham, AL 35203
Web: http://vlpbirmingham.org/
Provides civil legal advice (not representation) to low-income people. A volunteer attorney will meet with you, provide counsel and advice, and, if necessary, show you how to complete your court forms in the following areas: Evictions; Garnishments/Collections; Small Claims Torts; Powers of Attorney; Guardianships/Conservatorships; Wills; Divorce; Custody; Alimony; Child Support; Visitation. You can see an attorney almost immediately at one of our Help Desks at the Jefferson County and Domestic Relations courthouses: 1) District Court Help Desk: Monday and Thursday mornings; 8:30am to noon; Fifth floor of the Jefferson County courthouse; 716 Richard Arrington Jr. Boulevard; 2)Domestic Relations Help Desk: Wednesday mornings, 8:30am to noon First floor of the Domestic Relations courthouse; 2124 7th Avenue North. For staff phone numbers, go here: http://vlpbirmingham.org/contact/

Legal Services Alabama - Birmingham Office
1820 Seventh Avenue North, Suite 200
Birmingham, AL 35202
Hotline: Statewide Intake Hotline – 1-866-456-4995
Phone: (205) 328-3540
Phone: 1-800-819-7685
Web: http://www.legalservicesalabama.org/
Provides free civil legal representation for low-income people in the areas of protection orders, custody, child support, public benefits, housing/eviction, and more. To apply for legal help, you can call the hotline (listed above) or fill out an online application on their website.

back to top